By Theresa Gibson
A big congratulation if you’re the owner of a brand spanking’ sparkly new engagement ring!
Wedding planning is very exciting but there are times when it can be incredibly stressful as well which is why a handy wedding checklist will be the thing you turn to again and again.
In today’s post, I give you a step-by-step wedding checklist to help you keep on top of everything. It’s based on a 12 month period, but it will give you a really good idea of what to do and when.
It’s time to GET OFF THE FENCE and plan your wedding!
Here’s everything you need to do on your wedding planning journey…
12 months to go
- Sit down with your partner and discuss the type of wedding you both want
- Think about the time of year you want to get married and particular months
- Decide how many guest you want to have and make a rough list
- Think about the style of venue you’d like
- Set yourself a budget
- Start researching venue/ceremony locations
- Book reception venue
- Book ceremony venue
- Look into wedding insurance
- Start researching wedding suppliers and services such as photographers, entertainment,
florists, makeup artists etc.
- Book Wedding Planner(if required)
- Book Photographer
- Book Videographer
- Book Band
- Do some research on the style of wedding dress you’d like and potential stores
- Book appointments with bridal shops to try on wedding dresses
- Send Save the Dates if you’re looking to give guests lots of notice
- Think about your bridal party – pop the question once you know who you’d like to ask
- Think about DIY projects
8-10 months to go
- Research and book ceremony music
- Order your wedding dress
- Think about your colour scheme and any decor your want to hire
- Research and reserve accommodation for guests
- Start looking into honeymoon options
6-8 months to go
- Order wedding stationery
- Order your wedding cake
- Start thinking about flowers
- Buy or look in to hire options for groom’s suit
- Start looking for bridesmaid dresses
- Book pre-marriage course(if getting married in a Catholic church)
- Book honeymoon
4-6 Months to go
- Research and book trials with hair and makeup artists
- Book hair and makeup artist
- Send notification on intention to marry to the registrar(this is a legal requirement – you need to give at least three months’ notice)
- Order bridesmaids’ dresses
- Order baptism and communion certificates if getting married in Catholic Church
- Get hen and stag party planning underway(ahem bridesmaid/best man)
- Buy wedding shoes and accessories
- Book your wedding transport
- Book your DJ
- Book florist and discuss your options
- Attend pre-marriage course if you’re getting married in the Catholic Church
- Check the date on your passport – renew if necessary
- Start DIY Projects
3 months to go
- If you haven’t already sent notification of intention to marry, 3 months is the last chance to do it!
- Buy wedding rings
- Buy lingerie
- Book alterations and fitting appointments
- Organize wedding favor’s
- Shop for and arrange reception and venue decor
- Get Best Man and Groomsmen’s suits fitted
- Have any vaccinations needed for the honeymoon
- Start collecting addresses of friends and family for the invites and buy stamps
- Decide on your song choices – first dance, reception entrance and processional/recessional options
- Arrange food tasting and decide on menu
2 months to go
- Get working on mass booklets (approve readings/songs choices with Priest if getting married in a Catholic Church)
- Send wedding invitations
- Check out/test tanning options
- Purchase gifts for the bridal party, parents, partner
- Attend dress fittings
- Think about your table plan display
4 weeks to go
- Have your final wedding dress fitting
- Confirm details with suppliers
- Confirm menu and any dietary requirements with the venue
- Collect bridesmaid dresses
- Send song suggestions/playlist to band DJ
- Chase any guests who have not yet RSVPed
- Send photo list to photographer
- Finalise guest list
- Finalise mass/ceremony booklet and who is doing readings etc.
- Start breaking in your wedding shoes
2 Weeks to go
- Collect wedding dress
- Organise table plan and seating arrangements
- Write speeches/vows
- Order foreign currency for honeymoon if needed
- Go over checklist to ensure you haven’t forgotten anything
- Wear in wedding shoes
- Get your something old/new/borrowed/blue (if you’re doing this tradition)
1 Week to go
- Visit venue or chat to coordinator about placements(band,cake,first dance etc.) and timings
- Give reception venue/caterer final guest numbers
- Print or do up place cards and do up table plan
- Confirm services/times with wedding suppliers and pass on bridesmaid/best man’s contact number
- Get hair coloured
- Have beauty treatments – waxing, tinting, massage etc.
- Attend wedding rehearsal with celebrant
- Assign bridesmaid/groomsman as contact person on the day
- Pack your honeymoon bag(don’t forget your passport)
- Create a timetable for your day with slots for bridal party’s hair, makeup etc.
- Pack overnight back
- Have lingerie, dressing gown and all accessories together
- Organize envelopes with payments for suppliers – allocate groomsmen to look after on the day
2-3 days to go
- Have manicure
- Make any last minute changes to table/seating plans
- Collect groom’s/groomsmen’s suits
- Confirm time the wedding car will pick you up
- Confirm time of cake delivery
- Arrange for delivery of flowers to church/venue/home
- Arrange for flowers/gifts to be given to parents/grandmothers
- Put together wedding emergency kit
1 day to go
- Drop off wedding decor, place cards, table names, favor’s, props, etc. to venue for set up
- Give list of suppliers/contact numbers to bridesmaid/groomsman/other contact
- Ensure bridal party know what time they’ve to be at your house/venue
- Have the rings/wedding suppliers payment envelopes ready for the Best Man for the wedding morning
- Ensure you have your wedding accessories ready for the morning/overnight bag packed
- Double check what time the car will collect you
- Soak up the excitement and get a good night’s sleep!
- Day of Wedding
- It’s here! Enjoy every single minute!
Wishing you a lifetime of happiness and your dream wedding come true!
Theresa Gibson is a savvy wedding blogger and social media manager at Top10WeddingVendors.com, a leading go-to vendor guide for brides across North America. To connect with Theresa, follow her on Facebook.
Today is not your typical WomenOnTheFence.com post, but we have many bride-to-be readers and didn’t want to leave this community out. Feel free to share it with anyone you know getting married!
And finally, a humble thank you. Some say, you could/should have more than 5,000 Facebook fans. I say, we are an amazing crew just as we are. I love you, ladies (and few gentlemen).
Thanks for this ultimate wedding planning checklist! I really loved that you started from 12 months left to last day of wedding & how in detail you told about venue, dress dj, ring, beauty treatments, etc.
Well i’d like to suggest to buy wedding rings from Gemone diamonds. There is a wide collection of classic wedding rings. I’d like to get your words on our classic wedding ring collection.