On International Women’s Month and International Women’s Day today, March 8, being a woman to me means being brave, and being vulnerable. There is strength in showing when you’re hurting or feeling something deeply- because it means you’re open to change. It means you’re evolving. It means that you’re not sliding it under the rug and then one day, erupt.
Being a women to me means being courageous. It doesn’t mean that I won’t fall, but I damn well will dust myself off and get back up. It means resilience personified.
Being a woman to me means caring for my loved ones, but caring for myself too. Women are good at nurturing, but not so good at self-care.
Being a woman means I can be powerful and kind at the same time.
Being a woman means I define my own version of success- and lately, it’s about keeping more shielded and guarded.
Being a woman means we have a responsibility to the entire sisterhood. We shouldn’t take that lightly.
Happy International Women’s Month to all my sisters near and far.
I have compiled a list of my favorite 20 quotes in honor of International Women’s Day:
1. “What makes you different makes you beautiful.” – Author Unknown
2. “Life is a dance between making it happen, and letting it happen.” – Arianna Huffington
3. “My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never miss me, and that what misses me was never meant for me.” – Imam ash-Shafi
4. “The ship that you’re waiting for to come in may very well be the ship that you need to build.” – Eddie Harris Jr.
5. “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.” – Albert Einstein
6. “Don’t judge those who try and fail. Judge those who fail to try.” – Author Unknown
7. “To achieve greatness, start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
8. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” – Maya Angelou
9. “Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith.” – Margaret Shepard
10. “You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call ‘failure’ is not the falling down, but the staying down.” – Mary Pickford
11. “Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.” – Author Unknown
12. “Let loose of what you can’t control. Serenity will be yours.” – Unknown
13. “Be brave enough to live creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. You cannot get there by bus, only by hard work, risking and by not quite knowing what you are doing. What you will discover will be wonderful: Yourself.” – Alan Alda
14. “And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” – Anais Nin
15. “It’s very simple: When you’re working your hardest, the world opens up to you.” – Russell Simmons
16. “She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails.” – Elizabeth Edwards
17. “They tried to bury us. They didn’t know we were seeds.” – Mexican Proverb
18. “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” – Theodore Roosevelt
19. “Just because you used to be, doesn’t mean you have to be.” – Dallas Clayton
20. “Self care isn’t vanity, it’s sanity.” – Erica Diamond
I would like to take this moment to pay tribute to all the women who have inspired me along the way in my journey– there are too many to name. And thank YOU, EricaDiamonders, formerly WomenOnTheFencers. 😉 I dedicate this to you, my readers of 10 years, who have taught me the value of a sisterhood of warrior women who live far and wide around this globe, but who are united by the desire to be a better woman than they were yesterday. I salute you.