I have been keeping this under wraps for some time until I was given the green light last Friday. Yes, I actually became a Spokesperson for one of my FAVORITE THINGS of the past 13 years… a definitely cool thing. So, since I haven’t gone one single day without using Microsoft Office since I started my first business in 1999, it was only fitting it belonged here, as one of Erica’s Favorite Things.
Perhaps you have been using Microsoft Office like me for many years, or perhaps you’re just getting started. If you have never heard of Office, maybe you’ve heard of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote. Yup, as a businesswoman and mom, these are some powerful and useful programs I simply cannot live without.
Today, I wanted show you why Microsoft Office has been one of my favorite things for many years. If you are already using it, below I will give you a mini brush-up lesson on some of the new features in Microsoft Outlook 2010. In months to come, I will also be giving away a few free copies, so look out for that!
But for today, if you are also a busy woman and mom on the go, here are some features and functions you should know about.
SkyDrive (Office Web Apps): Office Web Apps is a cloud technology that allows you to access and edit Office documents from virtually anywhere. Even if a colleague/friend doesn’t have Office they can still view/edit the documents through the Web App. Very cool!
- Include people outside the office by delivering your next group presentation via the Broadcast Slide Show feature in PowerPoint 2010.
- With Office Web Apps and SkyDrive, anyone can easily add a Web Apps link to a document on their website or blog for free
- Excel Web Apps in action: healthier snacks for kids
- View templates in Web apps including a project plan presentation (PowerPoint), and 401k planner (Excel)
OneNote: OneNote isn’t just for taking notes. Once you dive in and experience all the great features, you’ll find endless uses for the program like storing recipes or planning a special event. I am just getting started in OneNote and I can’t believe just how powerful it is.
- Helpful Links
Microsoft Office tips for Bloggers and Businesses:
Tips for Outlook. I confess, this one is my favorite. I simple CANNOT FUNCTION WITH OUTLOOK.
- Combine multiple email accounts into Microsoft Outlook 2010 so you can manage all your mail from one centralized view.
- Create your own calendar to send out, that you can update without ever resending.
- Use Outlook Social Connector (OSC) to stay connected to your social and business circles. Get the latest Facebook or LinkedIn updates without leaving your inbox. Click here to install Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace and Windows Live Messenger to your OSC.
- Conversation view in Outlook 2010 improves the tracking of email conversations — reducing information overload.
- Got junk mail? The Ignore feature sends an entire conversation to your deleted items.
- Set up rules, so that:
- Mails on a particular topic are automatically sent to a specific folder.
- Emails from your boss/client etc. are in neon orange so you can easily spot them, read and respond.
- Or create a custom rule that will work best for your in-box.
These are just a few of the new features. There are so many more. I encourage you to read the Office Blog for more useful ways to use Microsoft Office: http://blogs.office.com
To stay up to date on the latest in Microsoft Office, become a Fan and join the conversation on Facebook. http://www.Facebook.com/Office
And follow Microsoft Office on Twitter: Twitter.com/Office
Finally, check out this fun video I shot with a fellow hockey mom about some great new features of Office. We also share our best work / life balance tips.
I’d love to know– what are YOUR favorite features in Microsoft Office? Please share how YOU use the different Microsoft Office programs for your work and home life. Perhaps we can all learn a few tips!