Whenever March 12th rolls around (my husband’s birthday), I always know it’s time for me to take stock of my life. It’s the time I start sweeping out the cobwebs; literally and figuratively. Winter’s snow melts away, and all the things you have been ignoring in your life, start to present themselves again. Aaah, I forgot about you! Spring is a great time to deal with these things head-on. And that’s not a bad thing– spring is about rebirth, renewal, regeneration.
Because March 12th, my husband’s birthday, always reminds me of this ‘life spring cleaning,’ I wanted to take a moment to honor him today. Here is a video I made for my hubby last year on Father’s Day. Hilly Diamond, enjoy this. Thank you for always being so close by my side. I love you now and forever.
And now, back to spring. Spring is a chance to clean up your house, literally and figuratively. There’s more to house cleaning than just cleaning out your basement and cedar closet. You should be approaching your spring cleaning as an emotional cleanse, just as much as a physical cleanse. What dust-balls are lurking in the corner in your life?? Gotta clean up, ladies!
Here are some tips to get you off the fence, and start spring cleaning your life:
- Sweep out the old. We all have garbage in our lives we need to get rid of, from bad habits, to negative personality traits, to toxic relationships. If you’ve been carrying around all this crap, it’s time to open the door, and sweep it out of your life.
- Wash away procrastination. Do you constantly find yourself behind the 8 ball, trying to catch up, and keep up? Plan ahead. No more putting off tomorrow what you can do today. Look at your calendar and get organized! Procrastination leads to stress, and who wants added stress in their life? Stop waiting until the last minute for everything. I am often guilty of this, but I’m working on it.
- Dust off that attitude! Instead of always moping about what you DON’T have, be grateful for what you DO have! We’re all guilty of sometimes letting our attitudes get the best of us. A positive attitude is a must. Get outside for a walk, or head to the gym. It often refocuses us. Things often don’t look as bad once you’ve regrouped.
- Clean up your finances. Do you have unopened bills sitting on your desk? Are you falling behind in your payments? It’s not too late. Now’s the time to be proactive. Sit down, close the door, and start cleaning up your desk and your finances! Seek financial advice if you’re too overwhelmed to start making a change alone. Make a list of priorities and tackle them one at a time. Living with financial concerns is a reality for most everyone, but there are ways you can improve your finances and get them in check.
- Clean Up Your Marriage. Do you feel the lines of communication have broken down in your relationship? If so, this needs to be attended to pronto. Ask a parent or friend to take your kids, and make a date with your significant other. Reconnect. TALK. Discuss the issues that have been tearing you apart. There is no better time than now to clean up your relationship and work toward a more blissful marriage. Come to think of it, our date night last Saturday night was the first time we were alone in over a month. We were due.
- Start small. If you’re so overwhelmed like most people are when it comes to spring cleaning your house and your life, START SMALL! Make a list of everything that bothers you, and that needs attending to. Both in your house and your life. A great idea is to get rid of one thing per week on your list. As your start to cross those things off your list, you’ll start to feel lighter. Also, on a house cleaning note: THINK BEFORE YOU BUY. Do you really need that extra WHATEVER??
So ladies, spring is almost in the air! The flowers are on their way. Clean up your house. Clean up your life. Make a list, and get started. What are you waiting for?
Tell us, what’s on your spring cleaning ‘to-do’ list? Putting it out there holds you accountable and keeps you on track.